According to described information on its official website: “Research Gate was built by scientists, for scientists. It started when two researchers discovered first-hand that collaborating with a friend or colleague on the other side of the world was no easy task. The network was founded in 2008 by physicians Dr. Ijad Madisch and Dr. Sören Hofmayer, and computer scientist Horst Fickenscher.
Five years later, more than 2.9 million researchers are already using it to present themselves and make their research visible. We’ve made it our mission to give science back to the people who make it happen and to help researchers build reputation and accelerate scientific progress. On their terms.”
Through Research Gate, you as a scientist could:
- Share your publications, access millions more,
and publish your data.
- Get stats about views, downloads, and citations of your research.
- Find the right job using our research-focused job board.
- Connect and collaborate with colleagues, peers, co-authors, and specialists in your field.
- Ask questions, get answers, and find solutions to research problems.
You can also access the information on how your institution rank compare to others in your countries, in the regions, or even in the world – based on combine RG Scores of the scientists from the institutions joining the Research Gate. That also means the more scientists or lecturer from one institution joining Research Gate – the better the chance to get higher ranking. Moreover, the more RG Score gains by each and individual from institution – the higher the institution rank would be.
With that info, I was wondering how is Bogor Agricultural University (Institut Pertanian Bogor – IPB) rank in the Research Gate institutional rank? Well, information below are what I found. These info are accessed in June 11, 2013. Other date of access may result in different value since the rank is a dynamic measure that can change in real time (most probably!).
Bogor Agricultural University (Institut Pertanian Bogor – IPB) standing in Research gate institution rank is:
- IPB Related Statistics:
- Total RG Score: 351.74 (from 746 Members)
- Total Impact Pts: 190.10 (from 188 Publications)
- Total recorded participating Faculty: 2 (Fac. of Veterinary Medicine and Fac. Agriculture)
- Contribution – Fac. of Veterinary Medicine: Impact Pts. 22 (from 23 members).
- Contribution – Fac. of Agriculture: Impact Pts. 14 (from 11 members).
- Contribution – Department of Biology: Impact Pts. 21 (from 40 members).
- IPB Institutional Rank:
- Worldwide: Rank 3302
- In Asia: Rank 808
- In Indonesia: Rank 4 (Rank 1-3 in Indonesia are: UI, UGM, ITB, respectively)
The next question is, if IPB want to increase its institution rank, what should be done? The answer is simple, just encourage more of its stake holder affiliated with IPB to join Research Gate and encourage each of the RG member to increase his/her RG score. With that, the IPB institutional rank will automatically increase since the rank is calculated base on the sum of all RG Score of its affiliates.
So… as stake holder of IPB, have you contribute to the IPB rank in Research Gate institutional rank? Next time I check out my Research Gate account, I wish I would see IPB will be in the top 5 rank in Asia (or even in the world?). I hope this will not just be a day-dreaming🙂