Prof. Dr. Ir. Sudarsono, MSc.
Professor in Plant Molecular Biology and Biotechnology – Coordinator of Plant Molecular Biology Lab. (PMB Lab.), Department of Agronomy and Horticulture, Faculty of Agriculture, Jl. Meranti-Kampus Darmaga, IPB, Bogor 16680, INDONESIA
Area of Research Interest:
I am interested in using cellular and molecular approaches to understand plant development and support breeding for disease resistance and stress tolerance of important tropical crops. My specific areas of research activities include: (1) utilization of tissue/cellular culture techniques and in vitro selection for identifying desirable mutants, (2) utilization of molecular markers for genetic diversity analysis, genome mapping, and supporting breeding program, and (3) utilization of plant genetic engineering for analyzing plant development and regenerating transgenic crops having desirable characters.
Recent and ongoing research activities include:
- Induced mutation and vitro selection for developing abaca and banana for Fusarium oxysporum fsp. cubense resistance;
- Cellular and molecular approaches for generating novel cultivar of peanut (disease resistance and drought tolerance),
- Molecular marker analysis for genetic diversity analysis, genome mapping, and supporting breeding activities of physic nut (Jatropha curcas), oil palm and cacao,
- Genetic engineering for developing disease (fungal and virus) resistance and drought tolerance in peanut, soybean, and chilli pepper, and
- Genetic engineering for reducing nicotine and alkaloids content of commercial tobacco in Indonesia.